Friday, February 01, 2008

Anthropology and banking

"Two decades ago, before I became a journalist, I used to work as a social anthropologist in the Himalayas. It is undoubtedly an unusual background for a financial journalist.

Indeed, whenever I reveal my strange past today, bankers usually either react with horror (what does she know about finance?) or incredulity (why would anyone spend years studying Tajik goat-herders?)

But a decade later, my years in Tajikistan are suddenly starting to look a whole lot more useful. For one thing that anthropology imparts is a healthy respect for the importance of micro-level incentives and political structures. And right now these issues are becoming critically important for Wall Street and the City, as the credit crunch deepens by the day."

read more

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

absolutely..!!!!! thats the initial response to a revelation of being an anthropologist....
you are much senior to this science of synthesising cultures...
being a novice and having become a banker i find myself in full agreement to the great contribution anthropology has made to my understanding of people.. environs.. cultures... and to be true ourself...
it would be great to read your experiences over the years...